Tue, 09 Feb 2016 15:01 - Updated Tue, 09 Feb 2016 15:01
At least 21 Hutus killed in 'alarming' east Congo violence: U.N.
At least 21 people were killed, 40 wounded and dozens of houses burned in weekend attacks aimed at Hutus in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the United Nations said on Monday, expressing alarm at rising ethnic violence.

Send by email
To share this news by email, fill out the information below and click Send

Correct
To report errors in the texts of articles published, fill out the information below and click Send
The attacks were the latest in a series of deadly skirmishes between Hutus and other local groups. These have intensified since last month when the FDLR, a Rwandan Hutu militia operating in eastern Congo, was accused by authorities of killing at least 14 ethnic Nande in North Kivu province.
U.N. spokesman Amouzoun Codjo Martin said the weekend attacks were carried out by members of two militias, the Nande-dominated UPDI and the NDC, which is mostly made up of Nyanga, another local ethnic group.
The fighting had reached an "alarming level", the U.N. said in a statement, and could cause "large-scale violence" in the region, as well as displacement of civilians. The U.N. has also received reports of looting, abduction and rape over the past few days.
Ethnic rivalries, foreign invasions and competition for mineral-rich land have stoked persistent conflict among eastern Congo's dozens of rebel groups over the last two decades, costing millions of lives.
Tensions have spiked between the Hutu and neighboring communities since Congo's army launched a military offensive last year against the FDLR, displacing large numbers of fighters and Hutu civilians.
Congolese troops and U.N. peacekeepers were forced to fire into the air last Wednesday in a nearby town to disperse Hutu and Nande villagers after the two groups clashed with machetes and batons.
reuters
Tags RDCongo
Read also
- 09/12/2015 13:03:22
DR Congo floods kill '20 people in Kinshasa'
An estimated 20 people have died in floods in the Democratic Republic of Congo's capital, Kinshasa, over the last 10 days, the authorities say.
- 20/10/2015 13:56:28
Congo police fire tear gas at anti-referendum protesters
Police fired tear gas and warning shots on Tuesday at thousands of opposition supporters protesting against a planned referendum on constitutional reform that they say is aimed at keeping Congo Republic President Denis Sassou Nguesso in power.
- 20/09/2015 12:10:59
Congo ministers resign as election debate heats up
KINSHASA - Two ministers resigned from Democratic Republic of Congo's government on Friday, raising pressure on President Joseph Kabila to name a new cabinet ahead of elections next year that are causing rising political tension.
